Friday 12 April 2013

The Importance Of English



In my high school, I have been asked to read a variety of different novels, plays, and texts in my English classes. The novels that I remember reading from those classes include Bridge To Terabithia, Lost In The Barrens, The Giver, The Five People You Meet In Heaven, Harry Potter & The Philosopher’s Stone, To Kill A Mockingbird, The Catcher In The Rye, The Road, and The Reader. The plays that I remember reading include A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Romeo And Juliet, Twelfth Night, Macbeth, Inherit The Wind, The Shape Of A Girl, and Death Of A Salesman. The short stories that I studied include The Lottery, Message From The Pigman, and many other pieces. The novels that I have read in English class seem to stand out when compared to the other plays and texts that I have studied. The novels that stand out most vividly are Bridge To Terabithia, The Five People You Meet In Heaven, and The Road.
Through these English classes, I came across amazing books and stories that I would never have even considered reading on my own. I was also able to analyze the stories and their components (such as characters, themes, setting, etc.) in order to better understand what the author was trying to convey. If I were not asked to do this in English class, I would have simply read the words on the paper without truly wondering what the message behind the words were. English class has also improved my writing and grammar through practicing essay and story writing and seminars. I would not be at the same level of understanding of the English language that I am at now without the help and guidance of the English courses and my English teachers. Therefore, even if a student is not interested in pursuing a career that is related to literature or writing, English is still a necessary part of their learning experience (at least in high school) if they wish to reach their full potential in other aspects of their lives. No matter what someone wants to do in the future, they need to have a basic understanding of the English language and how to use it during conversations and in their other studies. The mandatory English courses taken in high school prepares students for the higher level of their education by ensuring that they will have an understanding of grammar, writing, and literature, which will undoubtedly help them in whatever path that they choose to take for their futures.

9 comments:

  1. The mandatory English courses taken in high school do have the significance of helping students open their mind to see a wider world. Also, like all the country let their official language as mandatory courses since the language can also help us to understand the history and culture of our motherland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point! Even though English is the official language in Canada, students are still expected to go to English classes to study novels, plays, and pieces that will give them a better understanding of the language and how it has been molded and changed over the years into what it is today.

      Delete
  2. THe english courses do help students to experience the world through literature. It is important to scrutinize what you are reading and it is just important to learn that process because it will help you analyze and understand other books later in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, there is a great different between simply reading a novel and analyzing a novel for themes, character development, and symbols. English class is the place where students are able to make this distinction and use it when they read other books.

      Delete
  3. It is good that you feel very connected with the books that you have read. Books are a great way to understand and comprehend unique dilemmas and situations that you would not in our world. Books are also like you said a great way to improve your imagination and creativity in writing. I know that I have really broadened my vocabulary from reading many different books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fictional books definitely affect different students in different ways, but they usually always result in a positive contribution to their imaginations. I'm glad you've found fictional books so helpful in strengthening your vocabulary.

      Delete
  4. It's so true that you mentioned if it's not because of English class, we would simply ignore the meaning behind the words or even never come across those great classic literatures. As an ESL, English class have taught me more than the ability to communicate using English, but also inspired me on life with the cultures and thinkings behind it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learning fictional novels in English class has obviously been very helpful for you and I am sure you find it rewarding when you look back on how far you've come as en ESL student. Your situation truly shows how many different ways learning English literature can help a student.

      Delete
  5. Hey Shayda! I am a grade 10 student in King City. I really enjoyed reading this post on your blog. I can appreciate your love for English class and the reasons you think it is an important course. Taking the English course allows you to be successful, no matter which path you choose to take. I, too, feel that way about English class. Without it, I would have never read some of the great books that I have. Reading such an amazing variety of books allows me to view writing in different, interesting ways. Keep up the great blogging Shayda! I hope to hear back from you soon!

    ReplyDelete