Tuesday 16 April 2013

Stories That Have Stayed With Me


I first read Bridge To Terabithia in Grade 5 and the story has stayed with me ever since. The friendship between the two main characters, Jesse and Leslie, has been one of the strongest friendships that I have ever read about between characters. Travelling with the pair to Terabithia and experiencing what they experienced through their imaginations was always enjoyable for me as I read the novel back then. I felt as if I was one of the characters in the story because the book was written in so much detail; the author created a clear image in her readers’ minds. Leslie’s sudden and unexpected death left me shocked and I felt sadness for her and her best friend, Jesse. Bridge To Terabithia was one of the first books that truly touched me and that I thoroughly enjoyed reading in class.
            
Similarly, The Five People You Meet In Heaven was also a book that stood out to me when I read it in Grade 7. The main character, Eddie was not particularly special to me at the beginning of the novel, but as his story was told and his character was developed, I connected with his character and with the five people from his past that he encountered on his way to Heaven. The readers did not know anything about Eddie’s life at the beginning of the story but as his past was brought up on his way to the afterlife, the readers were able to understand him and feel compassion towards him and the brave things he had done.

Lastly, The Road was a novel that I will always remember due to its style and overall message. I had never studied a book before that did not include proper punctuation or grammar so reading a book like The Road was different and I soon became accustomed to the author’s writing style. I believe that I was so drawn to The Road because it truly delivered the message that love surpasses everything. As the man and his son travelled through the post-apocalyptic world, desperately trying to survive, their bond grew stronger and the love that they shared grew more powerful every day. The readers also felt the same pain that was felt by the son when his father ultimately died and they were forced to part. However, the readers understood that the bond formed between the two characters would never be broken.

6 comments:

  1. I whole-heartedly agree with your comments in relation to The Road. The style of writing was so unique and refreshing compared to other novels I have read. I even found it so interesting that I ended up writing in McCarthy's style after I finished the novel. However, that was short lived due to fact that I'm still in school! The novel is so heart warming yet suspenseful at the same time. I'm glad to have found someone that feels the same way about it as I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to hear that you enjoyed "The Road" as much as I did. McCarthy's style of writing was definitely memorable and inspiring. You should continue with your writing, I'm sure you're really good! :)

      Delete
  2. I remember reading Bridge to Terabithia in grade five as well, since we were in the same class. Back then, I wasn't really into learning. I know when it changed and why, I don't even understand how I couldn't want to back then. But, if there's one thing I remember from the fifth grade, it's Bridge to Terabithia. I had never been so shocked by a book in my life. That death stayed with me for a long time. I couldn't believe it! And I couldn't tell anybody because I'd spoil the book. That special secret I shared with the characters in the book is something you just can't recreate. Fiction is powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That class was a long time ago but I still remember our reading sessions and our class discussions about the book very vividly. I remember how shocked we were as a class when we found out Leslie died. I think that "Bridge To Terabithia" was so much a part of our lives back then that the shock of a character's death felt real to us. I agree, fiction is definitely important.

      Delete
  3. I felt the same way when i studied this book in grade 11. A book with gramatical erros in it on purpose i thought was just crazy, but you realize when reading that it actually helps the novel significantly. clearly Cormac McCarthy new what he was doing because his book became pretty successful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The Road" was probably a shock for many students when they first read it because they were not used to McCarthy's style of writing. I completely agree with you when you say that his different style of writing helped the novel. It gives readers more to think about when they read the story.

      Delete