Tuesday 16 April 2013

I Am From... Books


This poem is about the special moments I remember from seven of my favourite books.

             I am from a craving for novels and stories,
                              a terrifying headmistress always maintaining discipline,
                              a beautiful teacher with a voice as smooth as honey,
                              and a very unique and special talent.
             I am from Mormon handcart pioneers,
                              stolen childhood,
                              holding her trembling body for the first time,
               and accepting the fact that I eventually have to let her go.
            I am from refused kisses,
                              harboring innocent fugitives,
                              the singed book that I managed to save from the fire,
                              and losing everything I have ever loved to Death.

I am from the constant drizzle of rain,
                 the shiny, silver Volvo, gliding through the streets
                 the colour of topaz in his eyes,
                 and the crescent shaped bite mark that sparkles in the sunlight
I am from the past, present, and future,
                the dates he promised to appear carefully written into a diary,
                the perfect baby girl after six miscarriages,
                and always being left behind.
I am from the bicycle charm with wheels that actually spin,
                 flamboyant yellow bellbottoms,
                 the sinkhole where he disposed of my body,
                 and waiting patiently until the truth is revealed.

I am from a family that is absolutely mad,
        the ace gang, who is always there when I need a laugh,
         my part Scottish wildcat who always seems to be getting into trouble,      
         and choosing between my first love, the intriguing foreigner, and my best friend.

2 comments:

  1. Your poems are amazing! The words you used make people think and imagine about what you want to talk about. I like to read Matilda. I've never read The Time Traveler's Wife. Through your poem, I want to read it. And the author named Audrey, too!:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Audrey! Your poems were incredible as well! I loved "The Time Traveler's Wife" and it was the first book I've ever read that has made me cry. You should definitely try it out!

      Delete