Wednesday 10 April 2013

R.I.P. Leslie Burke

Dear Leslie Burke,
            This is the second time I’ve had to say goodbye to you. My first goodbye was to your character when you died from falling off your rope swing. My second goodbye is to your story, and this farewell isn’t any easier. I’ve had to make peace with the fact that you were no longer present as a character, but I have found comfort in the fact that your memory would always remain. However, now that your story is being put away on a shelf, never to come down again, I find myself at an even greater loss.
            Travelling with you and Jesse to Terabithia is an adventure that I will always remember and cherish. Our trips across the creek and into the enchanted forest were full of excitement, as we never knew what we would face on the other side of the riverbank. Terabithia was a place where “real-world problems” ceased to exist and the only question we faced was where our next adventure would take us. Little did I know that the day you decided to travel to Terabithia without Jesse would be the day that your adventure would abruptly end.
            Your death was a blow to me and evidently to the other characters in the story as well. Everyone was left wondering if there was something that they could have done to prevent such a terrible disaster from occurring. In order to make peace with the devastating reality, Jesse and I travelled back to Terabithia and honoured you in one final tribute. This way, you would always hold a place in the magical kingdom and in our hearts. However, now that your story is being set aside, no one else will know about your bravery or your legacy. I must not only say goodbye to you, but to Jesse, to your families, to your lives, and to Terabithia. So goodbye, from me, and from everyone else who was truly touched by your story and the adventures you shared. Thank you for making me believe in magic again, even if it was only for a short time.

No comments:

Post a Comment